View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 11:26 AM

Drysdale's Dugout

When I was a kid in the Valley in the mid 1960s I remember a little dive sports bar owned by Dodger pitching great Don Drysdale--I think it was called Drysdale's Dugout or maybe Don's Dugout. Might have been in Van Nuys, perhaps on Oxnard St. Anybody have any pics or remember the place? I never went in because I was a kid & it looked like a bar. Maybe I should have. Maybe Don was behind the counter serving drinks, or so I imagined. Could have got his autograph--or maybe he would have told me to come back when I was 21. Big Don was a very good pitcher who didn't hesitate to brush back batters who crowded the plate. Don also was a pretty good batter, who sometimes was among the top home run hitters on the weak batting Dodger teams of the mid 1960s. They even used him as a pinch hitter a few times. The Dodgers of that era prospered by their one two three punch of Koufax-Drysdale-Osteen (Sutton was still learning). Their hitting was weak, although they did have base stealing legend Maury Wills who would bunt to first, steal second and third, and then get home on a fly ball. A run or two was usually good enough for Koufax and Drysdale. Koufax was the better pitcher, but the batters probably feared Drysdale more.

Any of you nourish sleuths ever have a drink at Drysdale's Dugout (Don's Dugout?) or have any pics or stories? That would be cool.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 9, 2019 at 11:52 AM.