View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@taract_soulj@h View Post
Wheres Vancouver?
Vancouver is 62nd. This ranking system is based entirely on mathematics, to give an actual picture of which cities have the tallest/largest overall skylines. Only 90 meter+ buildings are counted, and the first 90 meters of each building are not counted towards the overall score (for instance, a 107 meter building would add 17 points to the score).

Vancouver fails in a poll like this, because despite looking large in pictures, all of its buildings are quite short in general. They look taller due to the higher floor counts of residentials, but really don't measure up on the world scale.

For Toronto, it has nothing to do with the images they chose of the skyline. Toronto is affected by having the CN Tower only count for half its height, and also because so much of its skyline is still under construction. I would say watch for Toronto to move up in the coming years, but there isn't a single city above it that doesn't have its own boom going on (same for the next 5 cities below it) so it probably won't move up as much as many of you would expect.

While I believe this is an excellent measuring system for pitting skylines against each other, it does fail in 2 ways. The first is in aesthetics, since it is only based on height and doesn't factor in the design, and the second is in density/composition. A city with multiple far flung skylines will have them all count together, while a city with a larger core won't get extra points for having all its buildings in the same area.

Still, I don't think you will find a much better system out there for measuring skylines. It's tough to argue against mathematics.