View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
If only Los Angeles St had been left to continue on, as it had for so long, to meet Alameda at an angle, instead of turning it east to meet Alameda at a right angle, wiping out Lugo House in the process. All blood under the bridge, I know, but it still gets me.
That, by itself, wasn't what wiped out the Lugo House, which was about two doors south of where Los Angeles Street turns to the right.

Where Los Angeles Street turns right it leads straight into the front parking lot of Union Station. This was once the old alignment of Sunset when it skirted the north side of the Plaza.* During that time this section of road was variously signed as East Sunset or Marchessault, and listed either way in city directories. So the Lugo House along with its neighbors might have been saved, but that small triangular area between Alameda and L.A. Street was razed for a small park, and a parking lot. Hail progress!

*Sometime during the 1960s Sunset Boulevard was realigned one block north, to the northern end of Olvera Street, and Marchessault was closed to vehicular traffic. Although the El Pueblo management does their best to convince us that Marchessault/Sunset was never more than a quaint small town horse and buggy street, before the realignment it was a multi-lane boulevard--essentially the continuation of Sunset east of Main Street. Past the Plaza to the east, East Sunset/Marchessault led straight into the Union Station parking lot.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:47 AM.