View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2006, 2:50 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
Norman: ~9-10 story Embassy Suites Hotel & Conf. Ctr. - University North Park

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but, here it is anyway. . .
A little bit of something for Norman:

Hotel and CC Slated for Norman, Okla. (4/27/2006)
http://www.meetingsfocus.com/news.asp

SPRINGFIELD, MO. —John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts (JQH), based here, plans to develop a hotel and a conference center as part of the University North Park mixed-use development in Norman, Okla.

The nine-story hotel, expected to carry the Embassy Suites name, will house 240 guest rooms and JQH will develop and manage the property.

The stand-alone 65,000-square-foot conference center will be owned by the city of Norman and managed by JQH.

Construction on both projects is scheduled to begin next March. An opening date has not been set.

Published: April 27, 2006 12:00 am
$50 million hotel project announced
The Norman Transcript
By Carol Cole
Transcript Staff Writer
http://www.normantranscript.com/site...tory_117002948

Plans for a 65,000-square-foot conference center and a 10-story, 240-room Embassy Suites hotel in the University North Park development in west Norman were announced Wednesday at City Hall.

The estimated $50 million project would be developed and managed by John Q. Hammons Hotels and Resorts LLC, based in Springfield, Mo. Groundbreaking is planned for spring 2007, with the company already initiating the design phase in the development east of Interstate 35 between Robinson Street and Tecumseh Road and west of Max Westheimer airport.

“I am just ecstatic,” said Mayor Harold Haralson. “It’s taken a lot of hard work.”

Hammons, who was present at the announcement, said his company had been studying the area for some time and is impressed with what is planned for the University North Park development.

“We are honored to be a part of such a visionary development and know that as it comes to fruition, it will be a source of pride for not only Norman, but for all of Oklahoma,” Hammons said.

University of Oklahoma President David Boren said Hammons hotels are “top quality” and the new hotel and conference center would help the city and university attract more national and international conferences.

“I know from friends … that these properties are well-developed and well-maintained,” Boren said.

“We are unable to find space for these conferences. So this is a great asset, not only for Norman but for the university.”

There is a contingency on whether the project will happen, that of approval of the University of North Park Tax Increment Financing or TIF District.

“We need the TIF. … We absolutely have to have that,” Hammons said. “You need this and your city will thrive better when that happens.”

He said he hoped the TIF would be approved or he wouldn’t be here.

“I like this area. I like the strength of the market. I like the freeway system,” Hammons said.

The City of Norman would own the conference center, with a contribution of $15 million planned from the TIF District. Hammons said he would supply whatever the difference might be.

“This is an example of the opportunities that we could miss if we don’t approve the TIF,” Boren said.

“It is my profound wish that it should be (approved,)” Haralson said. “But as you know, council sometimes has its own mind. They have to make it up. My sincere hope is that we will pass the TIF.”

Hammons operates more than 60 hotel and resort properties, including two in downtown Oklahoma City and one in Tulsa. Since 1958, he said he has developed more than 173 hotels in 40 states.

“I build for tomorrow, not yesterday,” Hammons said. “Quality always sells and quality is always in demand.”

He said being in a university city was one of the keys to his development philosophy. A prepared release from the company indicates they prefer to locate near state capitals, airports, corporate headquarters or office parks in secondary and tertiary markets.

“We like university and capital cities because in recessionary periods, kids still go to school and politicians never get dismissed,” Hammons said. “I-35 is profound. The University of Oklahoma is profound. And the market is still capable of doing a lot more business.”

Boren said they worked with the airport committee on the project.

“In regard to the height, we are located in areas where we are protected,” Hammons said. “Our 10-story hotel that we planned is within the guidelines of protection on that so we’re all right.”

Boren said pilots will choose to land in Norman because of the mall and hotel.

“And all of these plans have protected the glide path into Norman. … Only very low buildings will be allowed (in the glide path) and there is an additional buffer space for the glide path itself. So it is very well protected,” Boren said.

“All in all, it’s been a great day,” said Sherri Rogers, executive director of the Norman Convention and Visitors Bureau. “And we need meeting space desperately in this town.”

Haralson said the project cements the vision the city has worked on.

Also:
Published: April 28, 2006 12:15 am
TIF project plan recommended
The Norman Transcript
Statutory committee sends plan forward by unanimous vote
By Carol Cole
Transcript Staff Writer
http://www.normantranscript.com/site...tory_118011133