View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 5:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that Northland was at one time and for a long-time the crown jewel of Metro Detroit and specifically Southfield retail. If a suburb allows its once prime shopping district to dramatically decline, then it doesn't bode well for that suburb's other areas over the long-term unless there is sort of turn around.
That isn't necessarily true. Just because Northland declined doesn't mean the rest of the city is declining. Also, median incomes in the city aren't declining in most neighborhoods, and the population is on the rise again. What other inner-ring suburbs are seeing population increases? Not many...

Quote:
Southfield "never had a major retail presence" Pray tell, outside of Troy, which Oakland county suburb or Metro Detroit suburb had more retail than Southfield until recently?
I'm talking outside of the Northland area. Most of the major mile roads were geared more toward the office market than retail. Aside from Northland and Tel-Twelve, Southfield didn't have a lot of strip retail development.

Quote:
And what Home Depot in Southfield. The one near Northland closed a few years ago.
The one on Southfield Rd between 12 Mile and 13 Mile...

Quote:
I clearly said mid to low-middle class.
It's not low-middle class. It's middle class. low-middle would be places like Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Big Lots, etc. There is a low-middle shopping center in Southfield. It's across the street from the Home Depot (that you obviously didn't know existed, and therefore can't be that knowledgeable of the neighborhoods of Southfield...)