View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
I used to be a coin collector, this was from about 1958 until 1964 when I went into the Air Force, but most of my collection came from Robinsons Dept. Store and there coin dept. However, as much time as I spent downtown in those days, I think I would have discovered a coin shop on Hill. After I returned home from the military in 1968, I met my wife and as we began dating and got engaged I no longer had any money for coin collecting. Haha. Priorities you know…HER’S…. So if the store was indeed there in the late 60’s I probably would not have seen it. I recall that neighborhood as going downhill by that time, so I wonder if that kind of a business might have been down closer to 7th street and the early beginnings of the Jewelry dist. BTW, I still have all those coins from 50 years ago and I think I’ve earned a tidy sum on them.
________

Thanks for bringing back memories of the coin and paper currency dept. at Robinson’s. I had forgotten all about it. I didn’t buy much, since I was young and didn’t have much money – I was 10 years old in 1958. But I continued to stop there well into my teens and perhaps early 20s at which time I did buy some U. S. currency.

I also collected stamps and went often to the Natick Store on 4th near Spring. I distinctly remember an older guy named Archie with white hair and think he may have been the owner.

Robinson's ca. 1917, not long after opening

ebay images