View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:47 AM

Gaylord Wilshire:Thanks for the info on George Crenshaw, which I have wanted to learn more about. And you are correct about the Leave it to Beaver house, which infact is on the Universal Backlot.

If anyone noticed the Swastika Logo of his company, ...I wondered if he might have been part of the substantial community in Los Angeles of American businesspeople who were sympathetic to the fascist strains of capitalism brewing in Europe. I have done a bit of research on the American BUND (The Bund’s Los Angeles headquarters was located in “Deutsches Haus” near downtown on Alvarado and 15th St. and was the site of grand celebrations and pep rallies for Hitler’s progress. You may be aware of the Silver Shirts' Hitler youth camp in Sunland in the 1930's, and the rumored para-military compound located in a Canyon in Brentwood, (Rustic canyon) adjacent to Will Roger's Estate, a sprawling fifty-acre property known as the “Murphy Ranch” which was a self-sufficient community with three thousand fruit trees, underground tunnels and bomb shelters, several houses and a power station capable of producing electricity.

During the late 30's and 40's LaFayette Square fell into the domain of white flight to become an affluent part of the "black" community. After the '92 "riot", properties were being sold for 200,000 ! Since then, it has transitioned into a very integrated and wholesome place to live, and serves as a model of how the past can be treasured and enjoyed. So many other areas of central, mid city, and south LA could be restored and become vibrant again. West Adams is another example of what could be possible.

Last edited by LAboomer52; Mar 16, 2011 at 3:41 AM.