View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Hehe you would think a place called "KLYT" would be for the ladies, huh? But no, it's for the guys.

I looked it up online; this is from a 1967 phone book, which would suggest that at this point, the Palace Turkish Baths had been around since at least 1905:

from gaytubs.com

Here's a contemporary photo of 132 E. 4th Street courtesy of Google Earth:

KLYT is in the building that says "Charmed Fashion." It's the door on the left. Makes me wonder what this area looked like in 1905.
I used to go there by bicycle for a shower since the late '70's, it was called the Palace Turkish Baths, 132 E. Fourth. From what I heard from the manager, it was around since 1907, the same year the building was built. The building's name is Graham Hotel. Sometime in early 1980's the property was sold to a Taiwanese who done earthquake refitting, and I fixed the wood windows then remaining for him on the building, all others in rear were replaced with steel casements in the 1940's. I read from someone that Rock Hudson used to go there in the 1940's. I'm not gay, but I liked its time warp and it's steam room plus a cheap place to spend the night whenever I'm in LA. The entrance to Graham Hotel is at extreme right of Channel Fashion, 130 E. Fourth, going inside is very noirish, original 1907 woodwork. Now there is a new building built across the street for downtown living lofts. Time will tell that the area will soon be cleaned up of bums, making it safer.