View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Nice find! I've wondered about that Southeast corner of the Paramount lot, in part because of how much it has changed from the way it looked in Sunset Boulevard.

It certainly looks as though this was a public street right up to the gate at Bronson and Marathon.

When did Paramount take over this block to add a parking lot? The magnificent Bronson gate still exists but it's quite difficult to see from Melrose Ave.
I don't know when the public street right up to the Bronson and Marathon gate stopped being public, but I know that when my sister visited me in 1981 that it was still accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

google-aerial
__
Something some might find interesting in the above photo.

In the blue colored square you can see parking spaces there. On the north end you see a wall. This is a cyclorama painted to look like the sky. Paramount occasionally floods this entire parking lot area and uses it to film things in where water and sky is needed. Offhand, I don't know anything that's filmed there except that I read once (if true) that the first Gilligan's Island reunion film used it for some scenes.

I was invited by a friend to a film screening on the lot once and this is where we parked. As you might expect, it is recessed. I do not recall that the bottom was painted blue at the time, though.