View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 7:01 PM

Another view on Colorado St. at Garfield Ave, looking east.

This one is a few years earlier, either late 1943 (winter clothes) or early '44, and as evidenced by no post-war years vehicles, etc. The Broadway store opened in late 1940.

Notice on the south sidewalk, the large crowd of (looks like 100%) women/girls. My thought has always been, that this period during the war years, the men were either at war or at work in the defense plants. This is obviously a line for a matinee at the Strand Theatre, which extends down the sidewalk (typical of that era, as the theatre lobby was quite small by today's standards) and most likely, a chick-flick...my vote is The Song of Bernadette, late December 1943--to early 1944. The theatre marquee is smaller in this photo, compared to the other 1949 view, as it was modernized, right after the war.

Also note, as was typical of these linen cards, the overhead electric wires for the E/W P.E. cars, and the double set of tracks on Colorado St., have been airbrushed out, as well as a large painted sign on the west facing side of the Thrifty Drug bldg., similar to the scene in my previous post.

I purchased this unused card several years ago. This card is more rare than the 1949 version; however, the image quality is not a good/fine, as the Curt Teich brand.

Note the overhead wires and tracks, in this Real-Photo, image: