View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:30 PM

Thanks for the follow-up on the Baldwin Village Shops, srk1941. I knew you'd have loads of extra information. That 1963 flood image is fascinating - I can just see Gibraltar Savings at the far right.

---------------

We've seen the Panorama Market sign twice recently during my round-up of Julius Shulman/Bank of America branches (see post #30534 and post #31106). We also saw it in a follow-up by e_r in post #30543. These pictures are from 1956 (my earlier posts have pictures from 1951 and 1952), and show the shops on both sides of Van Nuys Boulevard, rather than just the east side. They also show the parking lots. This is Julius Shulman's "Job 2165: Fritz Burns, Panorama City Scenes (Los Angeles, Calif.),1956".

The first shot shows the parking lot behind the stores on the west side of Van Nuys Boulevard. Readable signs include F W Woolworth, Berlands Shoes, Chic Accesories, Mandel's and Silverwoods.

Now we're looking west at the backs of the stores on the east side of Van Nuys Boulevard. The stores here include Thrifty, Ralph's 5-10-25, The Baker's Dozen, Maxan's Toys & Gifts, Reinie's Mam'zelle Ladies' Wear, Kay's Children's Shops and Allen's Shoes. In the background is the Broadway store from where the photo above was taken.

This shot is looking north on Van Nuys Boulevard, and shows the fronts of the stores on the west side.

In the 1951 Shulman photoset (post #31106), the Bank of America branch was next to Allen's Shoes in the place occupied by Kay's Childen's Shops in this picture.

Although my previous post included a south-looking view from north of Chase Street, we didn't get a good look at the stores. Here we have Security-First National Bank, Green Jug Liquor, Wm Stevens Store For Men, Willis Sporting Goods and a Beauty Room, hardware store and pet shop with unreadable names.

Jumping back south, we're in the parking lot of Thrifty once again.

The parking was free at Thrifty!

The Standard gas station was on the corner of Chase Street, with a 24-hour branch of Biff's just behind. I can't see any sign of the funfair which appeared in the earlier posts.

I'm not sure which roof this last shot was taken from, but I've included it for completeness, and because it's picturesque.

All from Getty Research Institute