View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I don't think that I can take it, 'cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe agaaaaaaaain...

Oh-oh nooooooooo...

those are strange lyrics....lol.

https://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...park-1.9477080

Quote:
For years, Jimmy Webb has been coy when asked to explain that cake left out in the rain and the rest of the lyrics to his classic "MacArthur Park." It's been recorded by some of the industry's most celebrated names: Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Diana Ross, The Four Tops and, most recently, Carrie Underwood.

Many tales have evolved, in the media and online to explain the genesis of the song. Here are but a few:

* They're a metaphor for the end of his relationship with a relative of Linda Ronstadt's who later got married in that Los Angeles park on a rainy day.

* Webb was annoyed by British record executives, so he extended the song past seven minutes, something unheard of on AM radio.

* He bet Richard Harris a Rolls-Royce that he could write a No. 1 song for him.

* And not long ago, Simon Cowell supposedly said Webb had told a friend of his the song is about sex and drugs.

So which ideas are apocryphal, and are any true? We asked not only Webb but also his wife of a decade, Laura Savini.

"I've also tried to tell the truth, which is that it's just a song about a girlfriend of mine, Susie Horton, and this place on Wilshire Boulevard where we used to have lunch, which is called MacArthur Park. And the truth is that everything in the song was visible. There's nothing in it that's fabricated. The old men playing checkers by the trees, the cake that was left out in the rain, all of the things that are talked about in the song are things I actually saw. And so it's a kind of musical collage of this whole love affair that kind of went down in MacArthur Park.

I've never seen the macarthur memorial before. It obviously comes with a water feature, and graffiti has forced a bad paint job on the lower part.

the park's palm trees could use a trim.... as destroycreate described, parks in LA aren't exactly the best in maintenance. Some of that is because ppl with money started abandoning older parts of the city over 70 yrs ago, making city officials even more uninterested & neglectful than they'd otherwise be.

the walter towers bldg in the background used to be painted in a red, white, blue theme....looks better today.