View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 11:34 PM

"Follow Me Quietly"

Anybody catch the RKO police procedural "Follow Me Quietly" on TCM the other day? Directed by Richard Fleischer with Anthony Mann on the screenplay, it wasn't a noir since the hero was a hard working police officer and you don't know much about the bad guy. But it featured plenty of darkness and rain, two noir staples. The reason I ask is that I believe one scene takes you throughout the labyrinth of a gas works, possibly the one on Commercial. You don't get a real good view of the tanks but you see a piece of one in the background.

I was howling as the cops fire wildly at the bad guy without any regard of where they are. One lets loose with a sub-machine gun, poking about a half dozen holes in a large pipe. Luckily it was a water pipe! Who knows, maybe you can't do damage to a gas works with a gun (don't tell Cody Jarrett). Not only do the cops not hit anything but gas works, the bad guy gets hold of a loose gun and shoots down a stairwell hitting a cop in the wrist like he was Annie Oakley.