View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Hey there, long time no see!

It’s been a while. Though I’ve barely posted here the last few years — owing to laziness, shifting priorities, and living overseas part time — I still log in every few weeks to see recent posts. This thread is an amazing resource, and I’m glad it’s still around. ER, thanks for keeping it going!

It’s too bad the Photobucket images (and some others) have fallen by the wayside, but I think that most of my old contributions will have survived. Some of my hot-linked photos have probably vanished, but my original photos should still be here. (If anyone has noticed otherwise, please let me know and I’ll look into it.)

Besides offering a long overdue hello, I thought I’d post about a little-known place in downtown L.A. that I learned of a while back, and am interested in touring — the Federal Reserve Bank at 950 South Grand. Though I read about this building years ago I never saw it up close until last week, or knew anything about its function. In the last week I’ve tried to educate myself a little:

After a series of financial crises in the early 1900’s, Congress created the “Fed". It regulates money and credit conditions, supervises banks, and provides financial services to government and financial institutions. It also distributes currency to commercial banks, lends to banks, and verifies the authenticity of bank notes received from commercial banks. When the Fed detects a counterfeit note, it's sent to the U.S. Secret Service for investigation.

The Federal Reserve Bank has 12 main district offices, many of which have subsidiaries. The San Francisco district has four, one of which is the L.A. branch on South Grand. A few years ago I learned that it offers public tours to qualified groups. It sounded interesting, and I've long wondered if I could join one of those groups, or organize one by myself. I’m trying to make that happen now for myself and some friends. Out of curiosity, I drove down there last weekend for a look.

The building, on the east side of Grand between 9th and Olympic, is huge. I’m amazed that despite passing that block many times over the years, I never noticed it before. It looks a little like the Twin Towers Correction Facility, and probably has about as much security.
Nice to see a post from you. The reason you may have noticed the Fed building before is that it's relatively new. The old building is on Olive and Olympic and is now The Reserve Lofts.