View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:30 PM

Roger Smith Passes

I tried desperately to post a pic of Roger Smith here, but I'm still woefully ignorant of the process.

Roger died June 4 at 84 in Sherman Oaks. He was my favorite actor in the 77 Sunset Strip series. I was about 12 years old when the show was in its heyday (1958-1964). I wanted badly to grow up and be a private eye, carry a snub nosed .38 and have every good looking dame lusting after me.

Being a singer / guitar-player, Roger had a unique technique of strumming the instrument while also using it as a quasi bongo drum. There was always a lit cigarette stuck between the strings at the top of the neck. Too cool.

He didn't do much after the series (outside of marrying and managing Ann-Margret for 50 years). Watching 77 SS reruns on MeTV now makes me fantasize having a martini with him at Dino's bar. Some of the best episodes were penned by him ("The Attic", "The Silent Caper") I was sincerely hoping he would do a promo for the reruns on MeTV like so many other aged stars are doing. I guess it's up to Kookie now, as he's the last one left (at 83).