View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Logan Street School

Quick update on our quest for an image of the elusive wooden building at Logan Street School. Talked to the school several times yesterday and this morning. Was passed around, as no one was sure what to do with me. This morning the principal, Mr. Ochoa, put me on the phone with Mr. Gonzales his right hand man. Serendipity ensued. No one could recall, off the top of their collective head, a picture of the building BUT Mr. Gonzales, in preparation for this year's 125th anniversary (yeah 125, I had no idea) has been given the task of going through several thick albums of pictures of the school AND to coordinate offers from 'many' alumni to loan or donate pictures from family scrapbooks that go back 'generations'. He has high hopes we'll get our picture. We have traded email addresses and he's going to hopefully give me a periodic update over the next several weeks as to our progress. Also offered up access to other interesting historic shots of the school. I, of course, said yes.

EDIT: the 125th anniversary must be for LAUSD, not Logan Street.
Michael...wow this is great...and although I don't have any photos of the school I've still got some visuals locked up between my ears so I could help and as I mentioned I will be happy to make a contribution to help cover some of their costs. Anyway, I agree, at 125 years the school would have been built in 1888 and there was nothing in the area north of Echo Park (which was called reservoir no. 2 as I recall) that would warrent that big old barn. Logan Street wasn't even there. So thank you!!! You do know how to get in and dig...