View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This topic is kind of a mess, there's no way to possibly quantify this so it's just a feeling.

I guess my nomination is Dubai. It felt like Dubai was pushed everywhere from 2005-2009. Now it's relevance seems to be non-existent other than being a tourist stop, I guess it was all manufactured hype in the first place and was never going to last long. There was no substance to it all.
With the change of oil supplies due to shale and fracking technology in North America the geopolitical importance of the Persian Gulf to the west began to vanish around 2015.

The implications of this over the next 20 years are massive in a way I dont think people comprehend.

In 2005 if Iranians shot up Saudi Oil fields and Oil Tankers like they did in 2019 oil would have been 6$ a gallon and the USA would be invading. Now in 2019 we shrugged it off as a tense but ultimately minor international incident oil markets hardly even budged.

That alone should tell you how much that region's role in the world has changed since 2009