View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM-ATX View Post
This one kind of saddens me... I'm not a fan of Golden Corral and wont miss it. I will miss the +60 trees or 785 Caliper inches that will be cut down for Lamar Flats. That is over 75% of all the trees on the lot. Sure, some replacements trees will be planted per code but it wont equal what will be taken away. Too bad a little more could have been incorporated into the development. So say goodbye to the nice little forested area along Lamar next time you pass by.
I agree. Sure these new VMUs are creating density where there wasn't before but even they could be more dense with a smaller footprint. They take up quite a bit of space and could be a bit taller up to 10 floors. That would free up more ground to keep for green spaces. Of course the developers only look at it in terms of the cheapest way to build. It would be more expensive so why make a project more expensive than it has to be? As far as impact on water runoff this type of density gets low scores. When we start to see 8 to 10 story residential midrises without the giant parking garages in the middle then we will finally get all the environmental benefits that come with real sustainable density.