View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 1:15 AM

Ann Arbor has an odd case of NIMBYism. Residents want lesser density but also want less (or none) sprawl. It seems like straight up a demand for population control.

Quote:
Neighbors fight plan for 500 residences proposed north of Ann Arbor

David Caddell is worried a proposal for almost 500 new residences in on the northeast side of Ann Arbor will create traffic bottlenecks in his neighborhood.

Sheila Jensen fears the character of the area where she lives on Lakehurst Court will be changed forever. And Ron Durbin says the project, which includes a mix of three-story townhouses and attached two-story carriage homes, is just too dense.

They are among dozens of northeast Ann Arbor residents who have banded together to oppose plans for the project at Nixon and Dhu Varren roads announced earlier this month. Their goal: Get Toll Brothers to reduce the density of the proposed community or convince Ann Arbor City Council to deny Toll Brothers’ annexation request as they consider the impact of this type of development.

Residents have several concerns about the project.

Density

The city’s master plan recommends residential uses for the vacant sites, at a density of between seven to 10 dwelling units per acre. At 491 units, Toll Brothers’ project would result in a density of about 4.5 units per acre, less than what's master planned for the site.

A mixture of housing types is encouraged for the site, including single-family detached homes, attached townhouses and multiple family, the master plan says.

Many neighbors would like the three-story buildings removed from the Toll Brothers plan.

“I think we all realized that at some point in time that property was going to be developed,” Durbin said. “I don’t think we’re going to stop development. …My concern is the density of these units. I really object to three-story buildings.”

Joseph added: “This really is an issue of density and I think we should stay very, very focused on that in terms of services and schools, sewers, trash pickup, traffic, drainage — all of these things are density issues, ultimately.”

Traffic

Some residents in northeast Ann Arbor worry Toll Brothers’ community — along with a 294-unit apartment project proposed across Nixon Road — will worsen traffic backups where Nixon Road meets Green and Dhu Varren roads. The intersection is an unconventional four-way stop where the road jogs, with no traffic light.

The city has talked about realigning Dhu Varren so it lines up with Green Road and/or possibly constructing a roundabout to improve traffic flow.

Rampson said the apartment project has been on hold while the city evaluates options for the intersection. She said both Toll Brothers and the developer of the apartments, Bleznak Real Estate Investment Group, have indicated they would contribute to fixing the intersection.

Environmental impact

The properties Toll Brothers plans to develop have extensive environmental features, including wetlands and a woodland preservation area.

Toll Brothers’ plans call to build around several wetlands on the property.

According to the plans: “Both the layout of the proposed development as well as the storm water management system will be designed in harmony with the numerous wetlands and high quality woodlands located throughout the property. In particular, significant tree stands being preserved along the western property line provide both a buffer to adjacent uses, as well as natural passive recreation open space area.”

But some residents still worry development will have a negative impact on the wetlands, wildlife and trees on the site.

“When a developer does replace a wetland, it’s never as good as what Mother Nature created,” said Lisa Dusseau, who lives on the north side of Ann Arbor.

More housing planned

Jensen said she’s concerned about more than just the Toll Brothers project; in all, more than 1,000 residences are planned in northeast Ann Arbor as the region’s housing market improves and developers target vacant land to build new projects or complete unfinished ones.

Along with the Toll Brothers development and the Bleznak apartments, other projects proposed or approved in the area include: 141 single-family homes and 63 apartments or condos at 2701-2801 Pontiac Trail, north of Skydale Drive; and 19 homes at 2000 Traver Road, just northeast of Barton Drive.

Briere said a number of infrastructure issues need to be addressed as development continues in northeast Ann Arbor.

“The roads are in bad condition, I’m concerned about the stormwater, I’m concerned about wastewater, I’m concerned about traffic,” she said.