View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
To me, this isn't really what we're talking about. This is just normal urban infill, and can be found in almost every successful city. It doesn't even look like very pedestrian-oriented urban infill, with the above-ground parking deck, and lack of retail.

I thought this is about creating new neighborhoods, from scratch, with no parking, narrow streets, small retail spaces and the like, North End style. The above pics look like most of the urban infill anywhere.
Did you actually read what I posted?

Both buildings do have ground floor retail. And neither of them have above ground parking decks, I don't know where you got that idea. The renderings certainly don't show anything like that, and I can find no mention of it in any articles either. The first building has no parking spaces at all, but it does have 30 bike spaces. And I already mentioned that it isn't a neighborhood being built from scratch (though a LOT of residential is going to get built there, that wasn't there before), and that it wouldn't create quite the same vibe as older small lot mid rise buildings. But that it is better than the large block-sized buildings that typically get built when it comes to those kind of heights. It certainly isn't the typical kind of infill for SF, and it isn't the typical kind of midrise construction you see in new neighborhoods either (compare to mission bay, for example). It's pretty much a modern answer to the kind of buildings that the OP is talking about. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.