View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s people with this holier than thou attitude towards raising children that turn me off of the idea of having kids at all. I’m not sure whether we will anyway, but if I actually believed that the moment I had children they needed to be the only thing in my life that mattered, then I wouldn’t even consider it.
to the extent that you can discern someone's personality over an internet web-forum, you may not be strong parenthood material.

to do it well requires a fair bit of self-sacrifice, which does not appear to be your strong suit, again from your online postings.

that said, few things can change a man more than becoming a dad, and things that you believe to be 100% true about yourself today can be turned completely upside down in just 9 months.

i'm living proof of this. just read this post of mine from over a decade ago. and now look at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i myself can't see much upside to fathering a child. i'm a very self-centered person and i need my free time to be MY TIME. i don't begrudge anyone else who wants to jump into the parenthood game, but i know myself way too well to know that i wouldn't be any good at it at all. i can barely, and i mean BARELY, take care of myself. being responsible for a whole other human life that's completely dependent on me? no way in hell, that would just be a monstrous train-wreck.
one of mother nature's stranger jokes is that a lot of men have no idea how much they want to be a father until they actually become one.

i'm a textbook example of this phenomenon.