View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 8:58 AM
Khurram Parvaz

As for the absurd costs of the 2nd Avenue Subway which if completed in the next 100 years, it should cost $17 billion.

That $17 billion includes 2 tunnel boring machines, labor, real estate, and the actual digging. They are spread out into intervals and thus will likely be complete by a conservative estimate around the year 2060. So either in 45 years the 2nd Ave Subway is competed or it's off the drawing boards.

I have a simpler solution that costs $16 billion MAX, and should be complete in 3 years, NO MORE than 5 years tops.

Buy 70 tunnel boring machines (35 for each tunnel), and they sum up to a price of 3 billion dollars alone.

Then build the actual stations which when combining the cost of construction for all 16 stations from 125th Street to South Ferry, equates to 6 billion dollars.

Next the cost of the actual tunneling from station to station, which is the heart and soul of any subway project, would cost 7 billion dollars for the 8 mile journey. But there are 70 tunnel boring machines, employ less people, and work 24 hours a day, and this thing should be done in 3-4 years. You could even call it the longest non stop sustained dig in American history. My plan includes labor, real estate, and the actual digging, but there is only one difference: 68 extra tunnel boring machines, and it comes $1 billion under the cost that the MTA has down, and it comes 43 years ahead of schedule. What's happening in NYC is beyond sickening, where we can't even complete a subway tunnel. I have given them a plan. They have the money. CONSTRUCT.

Instead they spend more money to outfit the stations, which wastes money, and station art, and unionized labor does not help matters, and then they work some days, and stall on others, and then the RICH neighbors always complain, and then the bureaucrats are slow and incompetent. Then we include NYC and current infrastructure, and etc. etc. etc.

Don't we wish it was that simple. But the only way to get a 2nd Ave Subway done in our lifetimes is a long sustained dig with more TBMs and did I mention NON STOP. Only way.