View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks to E_R, Tetsu and GW for your great replies regarding the residences of George H Peck. I'm hoping that the well-trimmed hedges of the West Adams house mean that someone's looking after it. As for the house in San Pedro, I don't recall any other buildings having a first floor added (molested and vandalized modernized, yes, but not added). They normally gain or lose floors from the top. The nearest I can think of is the Alhambra and Alhambra Annex turning their basements into their first floors when Broadway was regraded (see post #13060 by ProphetM).
[/URL]
Sure thing, HossC! Your post actually helped me learn a few things, as I didn't know for sure if there was a connection between the Peck who put up the sign in the photo you posted, and the Peck House, until I started researching myself.

Interestingly enough, there's another Victorian in San Pedro that is said to have been raised up and had a new floor built underneath, the "German Helmet" House at 918-22 S. Centre Street:

LAOkay

The whole process really does seem inconvenient/non-economical in comparison to just adding to the top. But I'm no builder so I wouldn't really know for sure.