View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Pittsburgh, especially the Southside slopes is one of the more interesting places in the country. Reminds me of some villages in Europe...just with Steelers crap everywhere.
And lots of meth and trashy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Pennsylvania

-Philadelphia is probably the most interesting culturally distinct part of the state. It's the most cosmopolitan part of the state for sure. It's the city with the bigger name tourist and historical attractions, restaurants, museums, neighborhoods, so on and so forth.
But those attributes do not make it culturally distinct within the state. Philly is definitely not the most culturally distinct part of Pennsylvania. Much of the southeastern PA quadrant is similar in terms of history, religion, ancestry, economy, politics, architecture, customs, food, etc... i.e., culture. Philadelphia is just the epicenter of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
To me, the most unique city in Pennsylvania is Erie. It is the only area in Pennsylvania with a shoreline and where you can go to a beach. Being on the lake, Erie has as much connection culturally with Buffalo and Cleveland as it does Pittsburgh.
Ding ding ding... correct answer. Erie is easily the most unique and culturally distinct city in Pennsylvania. The fact that it is the ONLY Great Lakes city in Pennsylvania solidifies that. Add to that, the fact that it is much more closely associated with two cities not even in Pennsylvania (Buffalo and Cleveland) than it is with any other Pennsylvania city or region. Aside from having Steelers fans (and also many Browns and Bills fans) in Erie, there's really not a whole lot of similarity with Pittsburgh culturally. The Erie region is most closely associated with western NY. And, I mean come on, Canada is right across the Lake...

Erie is truly the oddball of Pennsylvania.