View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 2:14 AM

^^^
Love the pics, Gaylord.

Hmm, looking at Valentino's Wedgewood Place house, it's pretty modest, not quite a great big elephant of a place, the kind that crazy movie people built in the crazy 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Alas, 1982 was a bit early for me. As a Northener, in '82 I was frequenting shows at the Goleta Valley Community Center, I got my drivers license in '83 and started prowling LA for gigs 'round then. I have a scar on my chin from an Olympic Circle Jerks show, for what it's worth.

As this is noirish Los Angeles, I have to say, I have never experienced more true noir than LA in the early-mid 80s. There was something about it that reeked constant and unrepentant cesspool. Punk Rock was its true and virtuous outlet. Any and all of my time spent in LA in the 80s was sick, ugly, complacent, violent, stuporous and cheap. I have scars to show for it, but no memory thereof. The pleasures I attained from its disease-addled brain are the only reason I moved to its fetid terrain. Huzzah!

X sum it up --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhgdxoPQbE

Ah, X. I thought I read somewhere that they used to live upstairs from the Circus of Books in West Hollywood, on Santa Monica Blvd. That place is from my youth.

about.com

When I would go there to look at mags, I would sometimes be mistaken for a rent boy, which would surprise me and flatter me at the same time. Weird, I know. Out of frame and to the left is the Gold Coast, of which the alley behind was referred to as Vaseline Alley.

Here's Circus of Books in 1982. I didn't start going here to look at mags until 1987, when I was 17.

paulomurillo.com

WeHo, Santa Monica Blvd., 1982.

paulomurillo.com

Wow, the RTD. What a blast from the past. This was back when West Hollywood was still an unincorporated community (it incorporated as a city in 1984); not its own city, and outside the jurisdiction of the City of Los Angeles, and the LAPD. Being that it was County area, the LA Sheriffs patrolled the area, and were also a little more lenient than the LAPD, which is what allowed the nightclubs and speakeasies to flourish on the Sunset Strip, and the gay bars to exist on Santa Monica Blvd. I remember when the PE railroad tracks still existed on the median of Santa Monica Blvd., but by the time I was going to WeHo, the median was already landscaped, though the rail tracks were still there. I didn't realize that in the early 80s, the median was just dirt.

Vaseline Alley in 1982.

paulomurillo.com

Mother Lode, 1982. It still exists.

paulomurillo.com

I forgot about this place. International Male, 1982.

paulomurillo.com

~ Charles Bukowski