View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 4:01 PM

Pioneer Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Pioneer Hospital once stood at 1021 N Hoover. It appears in the City Directories from 1936, 1938 and 1939, but had changed to its name to Park View Hospital by 1942. There is still a listing for the Park View Hospital in the 1987 CD, although Google Earth shows that the lot had been cleared by 1989.

rescarta.lapl.org

So far I haven't found any photos of the hospital, although there is a 1957 news story about a pregnant woman being turned away:

Paul V. Coates--Confidential File

To tell the truth, I’m not sure if my mother ever told me “America” was part of the hospital name. Haha, perhaps that is something that my mind just dreamed up…After all she’s been gone for over 20 years. But the name Pioneer does ring a bell.
The irony is – from 1953 through 1956 while I attended what was then Thomas Star King Jr. High I would sometime walk down to the corner of Hoover and Santa Monica to catch the bus home. Waiting at the bus stop right in front of that little hospital. And yet as near as I can remember I had no idea that’s where my brother was born. The sad part of the irony is he died at the age of 19, in late 1956. I think it must have been many years later when mom mentioned he was born there and I connected the dots.
So many thanks to HossC and Moxie for your time. I’m writing a family history and this detail just came to mind.