View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's another...

Manhattan Beach, Calif. [1890s]

found back in Sept. 2016 on ebay

Does anyone recognize this area?
I didn't see this photo until this evening, and I thought I would put in my two cents.

I grew up in Manhattan Beach. I lived and worked in Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo for most of my life. I know the Valley/Ardmore corridor where the railway tracks once were, and the surrounding topography, like I know the back of my own hand.

The one key feature in this photo that caught my attention is the fairly steep grade of the hillside in the upper left corner of the photo.

There simply is no hillside that steep anywhere near the corridor where the tracks once lay. The hills are all very gentle slopes.

"Circa 1912: Looking NE with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe (AT&SF) railroad tracks stretching towards El Camino Real (Sepulveda Blvd.) near the intersection with Rosecrans Blvd." [source: Manhattan Beach Historical Society]

"Circa 1920s: Looking east on Marine Ave. near where Pacific Ave. crossed the Santa Fe railroad tracks. Note the absence of Valley Dr. and Ardmore Ave." [source: Manhattan Beach Historical Society]

"Circa 1927: Aerial photo of the Manhattan Beach from above Looking north from just south of First St." (The Standard Oil Refinery is in the upper right, and the rail lines leading to it are clear as day. No steep hillsides in sight.)
[source: Manhattan Beach Historical Society]

I have no doubt that the photo ER shared does not show Manhattan Beach.