View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The virus may yet mutate into variants that are more harmful to younger people
And aliens may arrive in our solar system and turn our planet into an eco-reserve resort for their tourism.

All viruses mutate, constantly. The mutations are random but the direction of travel favoured by natural selection is generally that of higher transmissibility and lower harm (both of which lead to greater spread of those viral genes).

There is no indication that any variant is more harmful to young people, despite Pedestrian’s (and other’s) attempts to twist articles about younger people making up a higher proportion of hospitalisations (because they are less likely to be vaccinated) into such.

If a variant emerges that is shown by the data to pose a much more significant risk to my own health, and these risks are also shown to not be prevented by the vaccine that I’ve already had, then I will act more cautiously in my own life until I get a vaccine for said variant. But those are two conditions that must be met and confirmed by data. I’m not going to sit here and act like I’m in danger when I’m not, but I theoretically might or might not be at some undetermined point in the future.

Back in the real world, it makes perfect sense for an older or otherwise vulnerable person who is at more risk to make more sacrifices in their daily lives out of prudence.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov