View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yes, those civilizations abandoned the area, they also didn't have water resource management.

If you want to call these puddles, then OK. https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails...storation-area
https://www.phoenix.gov/waterservices/tresrios

What are you talking about Re: alfalfa/dairy? Where are there any dairy and cattle yards around Phoenix any more (and do you even live in Arizona)? The majority of all have long since left the region, especially near Phoenix where these semiconductor plants and the growth is concentrated. So, basically you're saying it's a necessity to grow alfalfa here to ship to cattle out of state? There's alfalfa being grown everywhere and can be had from almost anywhere. Food to support manufacturing and the City in general can be (and obviously is) brought in from out of state, like nearly every city.

If AZ loses some ag economy and gains incredible manufacturing, I'd say that's a positive. The water use is likely just a wash. I'm not saying Arizona and Phoenix can grow to infinity forever, and I sincerely hope it doesn't, but there is capacity to support more growth. These large semi-conductor plants and associated growth is a large positive for Phoenix/Arizona.
Your description of a wetland is just as deceiving as the chamber of commerce type description you linked....it's a dry river bed that happens to have some occasional runoff and ground seepage. ...and yes, I live in AZ and lived in the valley for over 15 years until I was granted a reprieve from the powers that be. I suppose the Scottsdale greenbelt is natural oasis, by your barometer, but just happens to need constant sprinkler systems watering, just for aesthetics.

Cities only can exist if there is a surplus of food, just like civilization itself. Yes, there is dairy production in AZ and yes, you need alfalfa or some other staple feed to make that happen. Phoenix is already vulnerable with water and making the distance food has to come ever longer is something that needs to be taken seriously, if last year didn't teach you that, then I won't convince you here on this forum.

Industry is vital for a city to grow and flourish, but you keep missing the point that, in Phoenix, having to compromise ag for growth, isn't feasible or viable. Most other cities of note don't have such compromises.