View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I didn't realize it was still there! Thanks M P.

I wonder what was located in the Chin Chin spot in the 1930s and 40s.

The next building east, past the driveway, is the old Cafe Trocadero, right?

Yes, you are right. It's harder to know what was in the Chin Chin spot at that time. Most all the Trocadero photos are taken at an angle facing east.
And the Trocadero also had several different looks.

Views: 1944 & 2014.

Playground to the Stars

Remember NLA contributor gsjansen?

I found this on his Flickr site. Caption is: "The Trocadero Cafe SE corner of Sunset Boulevard and Sunset Plaza Drive 1934, 1939, and now."
If "now" is the date when he put this on Flickr the year is 2010.

gsjansen/Flickr

Notice in the 2010 photo "The Sunset" building is there as it is in the 2014 "now" photos at the top of the post. But look how much it's changed from 2010 - 2014.

Also, in the 2010 photo, look at the building west of "The Sunset" building. That happens to be this building I posted a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Academy Awards in Hollywood today! Here's a photo listed as taken on Sunset Blvd.

Larry Jandro/Flickr

The 46th Academy Awards were held Tuesday (Tuesday?) April 2, 1974, at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion,
a drawing of which you can see behind the Oscar on the billboard. The Sting won Best Picture that year.

Cine Mobile sign on small building.

Notice the billboard says 7:00 p.m. I remember when I grew up in New York State the Oscars would
sometimes start at 10:00 p.m.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I was trying to find out where on Sunset Blvd. the above photo was taken.
Hollywood Photographs has this photo of Cine Mobile from 1973, saying the
location was at Sunset Blvd. and Sunset Plaza Drive.

The two tower buildings in the distant background of the color photo must be the two towers in Century City.
This area on the south side of Sunset Blvd. has been very much altered since the photo was taken, unlike the
north side where Sunset Plaza Drive connects to Sunset, which is mostly the same. I wonder what the original
intent of the Cine Mobile building was when it was built. It doesn't seem like it'd been built for this company.

"Very much altered" indeed:

gsv; around 8600 Sunset; Sunset Plaza Drive going off to the right.

But the billboard rights were maintained...

Last edited by Martin Pal; Mar 12, 2019 at 6:12 PM.