View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 12:43 AM

Wow, so many cool pics!

Beaudry I really like the one that shows the 5th Street retaining wall in detail; you can see the tunnel entrance to the Edison Building which still exists, and you can see the arches. I'm wondering if those arches were also some kind of tunnel entrance, maybe to the Sunkist Building? Or were they purely decorative? I really like the On Bunker Hill website too. I have yet to further explore the website on Raymond Chandler. I have a book called "The Long Embrace" written by Judith Freeman; the author chronicles Chandler's life and visits the places he lived; it's a very interesting book.

Looking north on Garfield Avenue at Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, 1930s. Notice the metal "STOP" sign embedded into the roadway. Before road striping became standardized, these were installed in the early 1920s to mark the center of the road at an intersection and as a STOP sign.

LAPL

I never thought I'd see these in real life until I stumbled upon one some years ago in my town of South Pasadena. I finally took a picture of it today, May 16, 2010. I wish I had taken a picture of the other side of it because it says "SAFETY KEEP TO RIGHT."

Photo by me

I'm wondering why it still exists. But I'm glad it does.

~ Charles Bukowski