View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 7:42 AM

LA location photography

GW: Another comment about the first of those great shots of the Russell Waters/"Julia Farren" house in Wm. Castle's "13 Ghosts" that you shared: Interesting how it appears that a photograph of the house and trees has been superimposed against some kind of rear projection of a gloomy grey sky to give the house a more isolated, ominous look. Studio magic.
Thanks again EW for those wonderful photos of classic Rossmore Ave, apt. buildings.
A rarely seen (and I believe unavailable on DVD) film noir is the 1946 "Brasher Doubloon" (a Phillip Marlowe movie with George Montgomery) which begins with a wonderful scene of what is supposed to be a great mansion in Pasadena at dusk, with massive palms blowing in a Santa Ana wind. The house is one of those "gothic chateau" style places with the pointy "witch hat" towers that probably dates from around 1890, I should think. I later saw a picture of the Hershey mansion on Bunker Hill (the lady who built the Hollywood Hotel), and it looked very similar. The film also features a rambling Crafstsman-style house in the Hollywood Hills, also on a very windy day with lots of shadows against the house of thrashing Sycamore trees. None of the other Phillip Marlowe films of the 40's have as much realistic location photography.