View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 12:27 PM

somehow, i thought we had talked about little joe's, 900 n. broadway. located at the north east corner of college and broadway. i can't seem to locate any postings about it though..........................

anyway.............

In 1908 Robert Nuccio opened the Italian American Grocery store at 450 Hewitt Street.

Source: LAPL

In 1922 he sold the business to his best friend John Gadeschi and Joe Vivalda, they purchased the n. broadway building and relocated the store there in 1927.
prevoulsly the 900 n. broadway building housed the d.w. davis grocery and provisions store

The upper floors served as a hotel

In 1933 they opened up the little joe's restaurant at the north side of the building. The expansion of the grocery business into the restaurant business was necessitated in the early 1930s by an increasing number of construction workers frequenting the grocery store for meals and driving away other customers from the grocery business. By expanding to the cafe next door, John and Joe were able to keep their grocery customers and accomodate an increasing number of restaurant/meal customers.

According to well established family stories, the basement room was used to dress or clean wild game caught at Joe Vivalda's ranch near Ft. Tejon, to be served at the restaurant. Kneeling at right: Joe Vivalda.

after the construction of union station, chinatown relocated and centered itself around n. broadway. this photograph looking east on college across broadway was taken in 1941

at some point in either the late 40's or early 50's, the building was completely remodeled

an additional dining catering room was added on the north side of the building

in the late 60's the building was once again heavily remodeled, removing the upper hotel portion of the building.

in the late 70's i ate at little joe's, and this 1977 family portrait photograph, looking north on broadway across college, is exactly how i remember it.....

even though Robert Nuccio had sold the business back in 1922 to John Gadeschi and Joe Vivalda, the Nuccio family was always involved with the restaurant. On the left are John Albert Nuccio, Steve Nuccio, photograph was taken some time on the late 70's early 80's

Last edited by gsjansen; Jun 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM.