View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:25 AM

Huh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I guess I should have been more blunt, ARCO didn't have the money build a headquarters building on its own. They needed the entire block to accommodate both their headquarters and thier partner's(B of A) needs.

ARCO moved out of the Plaza in 1999 and moved to the Security Pacific Building at 333 Hope as the named tenant(B of A may have been in the building but they were not the named tenant. Shortly after that move, they merged with bp. B of A became the named tenant at 333 Hope sometime in the late aughts.

As I noted, there was quite a bit of nostalgia for the old Richfield building at ARCO. In addition to the scale model on the 50th floor the elevator door panels from the Richfield building are at the Figuroa side of the old ARCO tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
[In a pensive mood]. I wonder how much it would cost to build a replica of the Richfield Building today (appearance outside and in the lobby the same, otherwise up to current code) . . . ? I wonder if there is a mega-corporation which would have the chutzpah to do it . . . ? I wonder if they could take an undistinguished current building of the right size and use that for the core, building a shell replicating the Richfield Building on top of and around it . . . ?
^^^
I'd love to see a much taller version of the Richfield tower (or at least inspired by it) in all its art deco glory, maybe 70 or 80 stories with a tall spire. Mixed use. Maybe 1250 feet, Empire State height. Maybe on Broadway or 7th with all the historic buildings where it would fit right in. I can dream anyway. A neo art deco Richfield in time for the Olympics and the 100th anniversary of the original Richfield tower completion (1928). It would cost a bundle but would be loved and no doubt popular and rent well. People love art deco. Seeking a billionaire to build it. L.A. has lots of multi-billionaires. Maybe once we get past covid & the economy recovers. Then we'll get it going. At the top of the spire there could be a winged angel statue representing the "City of Angels". The angel with open wings would be lit up at night along with the entire spire.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 2, 2020 at 4:56 AM.