View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

The California Shoe Manufacturing Co. is included in this Torrance panorama from 1914.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 15 August 1914

Number 3 in the picture, it was just north of the Union Tool Co. which was located at the NW corner of Western Avenue and Carson Street.

Here it is in an ad for the Fuller Shoe Company, the first company in the building.

socalarchhistory.blogspot.com

This reference in an architecture guide from 2003 gives the address and indicates it was still standing though converted around
that time. It appears to have gone in the meantime.

Google Books - An Arch Guidebook to Los Angeles
Here's the Sanborn map of the area, the first insert at the top right goes above the area at the upper left, the one below that(with the CA Shoe Company building goes above that. The 3rd insert(with the Pearl Button factory goes below the main map(south of Carson). Looking at later maps, the shoe factory was an aircraft engineering firm by the late 20's.

(Off Topic); I went to the opening of the "1919" exhibit at The Huntington" this evening(free food's always a draw with me). The Huntington is celebrating it's centennial, so they put up this exhibit. It was pretty crowded and Madame and I forgot our reading glasses, so we'll return to get a better look. It's something I'd take a look-see if you're a local.