View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 8:11 PM
ride or die

Hello all,

After lurking for some time now I decided to finally register an account. I'm a bike advocate and really want to promote the growth of our nascent bike culture. As the saying goes, as California goes so goes the nation. Well, there a new bike law being proposed by CA senator Carol Liu, SB192, that threatens to mandate helmets and bright reflective vests for all bike riders regardless of age. Currently only riders under the age of 18 are required to use helmets, and no-one is required to wear vests at night. I'm worried firstly about this law's effect on the momentum of cycling's growth in CA, but secondly that it sets precedent for other states to take up similar bills.

As a member of the California Bike Coalition, I want to encourage everyone who cares chance to send Senator Liu a petition letting her know how wrongheaded this is. Mandatory helmet laws have been shown to substantially reduce bicycling where enforced. And bicycling is already among the safest means of transportation available, without helmets. Studies show bicycling safety increases as the numbers of cyclists increase. Portland and Davis already have fatality rates far below the national average compared with other transportation modes. This law threatens to reverse the progress we've made. Efforts should instead be spent on providing improved grade-separated bike infrastructure and instead of putting all the burden of responsibility on cyclists alone.

Here's a link if you're interested. Please spread the word

https://calbike.org/stopsb192/?page=...ion/sign&sid=3

P.S. I am not an employee of the bike coalition. Just a passionate cyclist who doesn't want to see California's leadership in bicycling turn to dust!