Thread: Small Houses
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:30 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Victor View Post
I have to wonder exactly how livable these places are, especially when they're not perfectly staged for (often wide angle) architectural shoots. How does the regular stuff that fills up life (laundry comes to mind) Are there any confessionals/stories/blogs that detail the lives of those that have spent a considerable amount of time (let's say 6+ months) in one of these?
I grew up in a single-wide trailer, which is the poor man's small house -- literally. It was horrible. I also had cousins who lived in a trailer. Inexplicably, one bedroom had a door to the hall and another to the bathroom, but it was physically impossible to arrange a bed in that room so that you'd have access to both doors. At our place, meanwhile, I remember that in my brother's room you could stand with arms outstretched and touch both walls. We had to store a lot of stuff at my grandmother's house, where it would acquire the smell of wood smoke, and at my dad's garage, where the rats would chew on it and piss and shit all over it.

I honestly don't see how life's going to work in one of these trendy "small houses." These are tarted up sheds, and that one in Madrid, the one that seems to have been stolen from someone's dream of a funhouse, is just begging for trouble. All squatting and kneeling and whatnot... let's see what happens when the occupant sprains something and can't access a damn thing in the house anymore because of that.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947