View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 11:23 PM
TL;DR

I imagine this site will be back in play for the next trophy office tower, whenever the office market recovers. I like the chances. It's really one of only a tiny handful of sites in a strong location where you can do a big tower and give it some breathing room with park/plaza.

301 S Wacker I am skeptical about. It has that Wacker Drive address, but in other respects it's kind of a ho-hum site for highrise development. In order to get respectable floorplates they need to sandwich the new building up against 311 awkwardly and eliminate all the open space. I honestly think that might be a better site for a hotel - they can offer bundle deals with the Skydeck and do a more slender building, kind of like how the Hotel Palomar building on State sidles up to the AMA Building. Pre-Covid there was some pretty strong hotel growth in the Central/SW Loop with JW Marriott, Hyatt Centric, etc.

Residential might work at 301 as well, but I think 255 W Van Buren cast a negative light on SW Loop residential. Things may be different with the OPO re-opened, though.