View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If you're worried about investors turning a profit, you shouldn't be. They're in it for a reason
-
But you still fail to understand the underlying reason it's being proposed where it is, and why the City is on board with it.
-
There is already a built-in base to draw from. But it will be an attraction of its own, generating it's own visitors and tourists alike.
-
Well I never said I was worried. Even if investors run out of funding and it ends up out of operation, or the city takes it over; I will still derive enjoyment from it, even if it would be a little sad. I'm merely discussing my thoughts on whether it will be a success in that matter.

I've taken the ferry over a thousand times, I'm well aware that there is a built in base of tourists, and it will be built within an urban area of 22ish million people (albeit in the 2nd/3rd "ring"). Understand that the majority of tourists spend their time in Manhattan, and that even with the ferry, St.George can not compete with central London for access to the tourist market. Considering that several of these observation wheels have faced economic troubles, it's something to consider.

Regardless, I hope you're right, and I'm glad the city is trying to spread the tourist love a little.