View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:52 PM

Well I should note that I heard this rumor about Costco relocating to Galway a few months ago....well before the first post about it on here. But either way rumors spread fast so all of it could ultimately be coming from the same source.

My initial reaction was that I was surprised it wasn't a new location as opposed to relocating. But the more I thought about it the more I could see it:

1. Something like this could make or break Galway with the economy currently the way it is. So I would not be surprised about Danny trying to lure them. Hell he may have offered them the land for next to nothing just to get them in there.

2. Costco's are pretty high traffic/high volume stores. I don't think St. John's area meets the threshold for two Costco's. Halifax metro has 2 stores at 400,000+. Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa have 4/5 stores at 1.3 million+. That would put it at about minimum of 200,000 people per store. I think the bigger mtros even a higher population per store average.

3. Would place Costco more at the geographic center of population distribution of the Northern Avalon....especially if you factor in future growth.

4. Biggest problem to Costco being at Stavanger isn't really the store size...it's the relatively small parking lot and traffic congestion in that area that I would imagine is causing some loss in potential revenue...when you add the lineups for the gas pump it can be a cl*sterfuck.

Those are some of my reasons as to why I think the rumor could be true.

Of course I could be completely wrong and we could see two Costco's or nothing changed at all..