View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:39 PM

Province pushes potash
Royalties could earn Manitoba $2 billion

The Selinger government is about to invite the world's potash producers to sink their machines into a western Manitoba mine that could generate $2 billion worth of royalties for the province over the course of 40 years.

After decades of poking around the Russell-McAuley potash deposit, a mineral formation located below Manitoba's western edge, the province is serious about attracting interest in developing a mine.

The Potash Corporation of Manitoba is preparing to issue letters to major mining-industry players -- including Canadian potash companies Agrium, Mosaic and Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan -- to gather expressions of interest in developing a $3-billion to $4-billion Russell-McAuley mine.

Slightly more than one billion tonnes of potash are estimated to lie 800 metres to one kilometre below ground in the 2,247-square-kilometre Russell-McAuley deposit, which the province claims is comparable in quality and mining conditions to similar deposits across the Saskatchewan border, where Agrium, Mosaic and Potash Corp. operate mines.

Con't..http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...268224642.html

We've always known it's been there. Will prevailing market conditions make it viable in the long term? Who knows.
At least there is some forward movement on this front. (slow clap, for our provincial government)