View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

I'm reasonably certain that we're looking at the northwest corner of Imperial Hwy. (on which the Goose is traveling) at Hawthorne Blvd. in Inglewood.

Under magnification, the address number above the door of the real estate office is "11333", which yields a location just north of Imperial Hwy. The cross streets which carried LATL tracks in a median strip right-of-way would have been Hawthorne Blvd., Vermont Ave. and South Broadway. The Broadway location was a little lonely in those days, so I think it can be ruled out. As the business shown in the photo failed to tun up in the L.A. City Directories, I lean more toward Inglewood. Those directory listings aren't always definitive, though; so Vermont Ave. still might be a possibility. Unfortunately, very little of the built environment from 1946 remains on those stretches of Hawthorne and Vermont, so contemporary views aren't especially helpful.
According to the newspaper report posted by Handsome Stranger at the beginning of the Spruce Goose discussion, the route is described as "Sepulveda, Imperial and Crenshaw Blvds to Rosecrans Blvd. and San Pedro St."
This would tend to indicate the Goose was traveling east on Imperial when it crossed Hawthorne and traveling east on Rosecrans when it crossed both Vermont and Broadway. Based on your observation of the 11333 address I agree that this is Hawthorne Blvd. Good eye!
I did look at some UCSB images from around that time and this 1941 shot is as good a look as I could find. It's not very definitive but the layout of the property is a reasonable match. The northwest corner of Hawthorne/Imperial is upper left.
http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_image.../c-7347_20.tif

Last edited by Bristolian; Jan 29, 2019 at 5:26 AM.