Thread: My Los Ángeles
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
Just got back from LA. I am super disappointed. I was really considering moving there but after seeing the big homeless mental health issue the city has I think I’m going to have to go to another city. It’s a Shame because It could be a very cool city And place to live.
I didn't think that homelessness and mental health issues were just an LA thing, I thought it was a US-wide/American city thing. I see homeless in other big American cities; in NYC I saw them flat out sleeping on the sidewalks and in subway stations in plain view, unsheltered. At least in LA, they can sleep in tents. A few years ago, LAPD and other city agencies were confiscating the tents and what little other property these homeless people had. I guess some people saw that as cruel, and they stopped doing that. Maybe if you don't have street smarts and are unfamiliar with American big city life, and homelessness makes you uncomfortable, big city life isn't for you and you need to move to a smaller city or small town, and you can find your Shangri-la there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
I barely saw any homeless in Orange County or towns like Manhattan Beach. I saw a few in San Diego but nothing like LA or SF. I guess SF and LA are run very poorly.
That's funny, because there are definitely homeless in Orange County and Manhattan Beach. I guess you didn't ride a bike or walk along a concrete riverbed or concrete wash bike path, or look under bridges that go over riverbeds/washes; you probably didn't go into Santa Ana or Costa Mesa or Garden Grove... etc., or see panhandlers on street medians at stoplights or freeway exits. And homeless people are all over the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego.

Many homeless people also live in their cars. According to this website, https://www.safeparkingla.org/, in Los Angeles County, there are over 15,700 people living in their vehicles each night. These vehicle dwellers represent over 25% of the population of people experiencing homelessness in LA County. Safe Parking LA provides designated parking lots for people living out of their vehicles to have a safe place to park at night without worrying about their safety or being harassed and told to move their cars. They also provide showers, toilets and hand-washing stations. In fact, over the weekend, it was on the news that the City of LA installed permanent hand-washing stations in North Hollywood and downtown's Skid Row.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also angered by the homeless situation, but not because I think homeless people are "unsightly," but I'm angered by the situation that makes people homeless in the first place. There's the mental health issue and why they aren't getting the help they need, but also, where I live, the cost of housing has become really high. I find it no coincidence that homelessness has increased in the last several years as has the cost of housing. And now with the COVID-19 pandemic going on, homelessness has increased even more in the past several months.

That being said, I took some random pictures yesterday (9.8.2020).

Here is the street I work on. There are homeless people. They live in campers. I say hi to them every day, and they say hi back. Why not? I see them every work day. I acknowledge them because they're part of the community, and they want to be acknowledged. Many people ignore homeless people.

Photo by me

This was on the way to dinner yesterday, to one of our go-to restaurants. I see homeless every day. They are part of my LA.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

And now some more random photos I took yesterday (Tuesday 9.8.2020); the El Dorado Fire in Yucaipa started over the weekend due to some idiots and their gender reveal party (when did those become a thing???), hence the smoky air.

Photo by me

La Virgen.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

A few more random photos; I took these last Thursday (9.3.2020), before the start of the big fire in Yucaipa.

White wine with dinner.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski