View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:12 PM

I mean, we all must understand we are bias here on this site. Let's really think about this. Most people like cars. Period. It's too cold/hot to walk, train and bus can be unpredictable, socially illiterate people ride public transit....a car can seem like such a pleasure when you factor in all those things. Also, whenever I use google for directions, a car is usually always the fastest option. And it is always the most comfortable. You add in the fact that the vast majority of American cities have shitty public transit( not enough routes, headways suck) or public transit with too many issues(bums, spoke system, crime) and it's quite obvious why people at least want the option of a car.

Most of us are living in a fantasy. No, riding the average city train will not give you time to do work on your laptop. You will either be standing up because it is so packed or you probably don't want your laptop out so someone doesn't come and steal it from you. It's just dead time just like if you were driving. There are obvious positives to transit. I am walking more now than ever that I take the train almost every day. I am certainly saving money. But damnit, I love driving. I love that freedom. I love grocery shopping for big things and just pulling into my garage and going to the elevator.

Until American cities drastically improve their systems( in any way, rail expansion, reduced headways, bus lanes, etc) and get rid of the social delinquent problems( just this week in Chicago, someone was stabbed and then the next day someone was shot in the two train stations I use to get to school), Americans will always prefer their cars. Period.

Me and my gf went from two cars to one. I take public transit almost everyday but there is no way in hell we would go without a car. There are too many positives to owning one.