View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:09 PM

The title of this Julius Shulman photoset gave me another earworm! When I read "City at Night", it made me think of the lyric "City of Night", which is at least from a Los Angeles related song - L.A. Woman by the Doors. The video has some scenes from LA, but that's not Jim Morrison's gorgeous Shelby Mustang.

Back to pictures. This collection shows four apparently unrelated locations, although the description suggests that they're connected by AC Martin Partners. It's "Job 2203: City at Night (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1956". The light trails from the cars in some of these shots are wonderful. The first image shows the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.
NB. I've increased the contrast of all the images to make them more "noirish".

The next two pictures were taken from the hill overlooking North Broadway and the Cornfield railyard.

This shot is from a slightly different angle when the sky was a little darker. Just to the left of the foreground tree is the tower of the Richfield Building. To the right of the tree, the illuminated street must be part of the Arroyo Seco Parkway.

Now we have a couple of pictures of Union Station. I'm guessing that they were taken from the Terminal Annex Building.

This one shows the bus loop.

The location of the last shot is a mystery. Does anyone recognize it?

All from Getty Research Institute