View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:40 PM

Baldwin Hills Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Aftermath of the reservoir collapse.
________
Great post etheral_reality! I don't think I was ever aware of the reservoir collapse and flood and the photos are quite disturbing. I dealt with the aftermath of a flood, a few years back, when a vacation home that I owned in Sonoma Couty was destroyed by a massive flood. aaand don't get me started on FEMA

Anywho, I was just chatting with a long-time neighbor of mine who I knew grew up in Baldwin Hills. Even though she was only eight at the time, she remembers the collapse very well.

Their house was not damaged by the mud flow, fortunately, but she recalls her dad boosting her up so that she could look over their backyard wall and see the flow.

Her most vivid recollection of it was that there were what seemed like hundreds of shiny and colorful Christmas ornaments dotting the sludge and a large hollow plastic Santa spinning around on the currents.

Obviously, since the flood was just 10 days before Christmas, a lot of decorated trees had been swept into the flow.

She told me that, being eight, she was on the fence about believing in Santa Claus, but that experience convinced her he didn't exist. Poor kid!

Thought I would share her memories on here, she's a great person and loves her Los Angeles!

~Jon Paul