View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:37 AM
somewhere in-between

Saginaw -

Saginaw Public Schools recently released initial renderings for the new high school and elementary school buildings that are part of the $100 million bond passage, which I first mentioned in November. The plans have been met with wide approval by the school board and now they are going in front of staff for their comments. The new high school renderings & plan confirm that parts of the existing SASA (Saginaw Arts & Sciences Academy) building will be retained. I'm not too familiar with the existing building, but judging by the plan, it looks like they are planning to reuse at least the existing SASA auditorium & gym, which would make sense with the layout (orange in the concept plan, below). A new, 5-story academic tower would be constructed east of these blocks of program. It looks like a separate athletic building, with a second (competition) gym would be south of and detached from the new academic wing. The addition shown north of the existing auditorium would likely be for two new music rehearsal spaces. I am impressed that they are going with something this tall for a school in Saginaw... but it just screams 1980's corporate office park to me. It's also a very interesting layout overall, basically a skinny 'L' with a circulation spine -

The new Handley Elementary School (located northwest of the current Arthur Hill High School building). The entry concept still needs some refinement I think -

Handley School & SASA site plan -

Source: MLive | Saginaw Public Schools