View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 11:54 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont really understand how any of this would matter.

Nothing happened when the 2nd place city prize flipped from Chicago to LA
Actually, didn’t some things happened? Didn’t the 2nd city title led to LA being compared more to NYC not only nationally but globally? Chicago is still in the picture of course, but in this era, if you were to ask a foreigner or random person on the street which two cities are the top ones in the US, most would tell you NYC or LA.

I will admit though that Hollywood and the media in general may be largely responsible for that. However, these comparisons probably weren’t happening as much before the 80s. If Houston or Dallas were to theoretically reach that status, it may not lead to any artificial status change unless they gain more influence over how the world sees them beyond being economic powerhouses.

Granted, a city’s global popularity and status may shoot itself far beyond what is expected of it in terms of its physical size, population, and even level of urban density and infrastructure. It’s probably why I would say more people now know more about Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte than they know about Galveston, Savannah, and Charleston.