View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I am totally aware of that, yes! I was just saying that the new development is now on the site of the old Westminster; the new development actually takes up the whole north side of 4th street between Main and Los Angeles streets; there is open space in the center (it's actually a 2-building development).

Very interesting tidbits. I know that Pershing Square was a big cruising area a long time ago.
More on Roman Palace Baths- As related by late Jim Kepner n Donna Smith when interviewed sometime in the 70s about early L.A. gay/lesbian tales of yore-- And also found in 4 articles in 1921 (?) LA Times--ex mayor Harper's now cute and flaming 20 yr old son and his posse overheard by undercover vice cop iside the baths planning their seduction party/orgy at his home on S.Figueroa (?) .This stud officer gets invited to join the fun - so headqrtrs dispatches he and a partner who climb thru open downstairs window and hide neath the master bed to take copious notes whilst a raid squad waits out around the corner until they hear a signal to bust up the event. The lads were attired in elaborate drag and fellating a gaggle of sailors they'd met. Raid ensues and the exmayor and wife arrive home frm their journey to have momma faint deadaway at sight of sonnyboy in cuffs and high drag (her own finery?) After several court appearances the sailors were acquited and all other charges eventually got dropped into dustbin of history. Femme extraordinaire Empress Josephine rented the baths out for monthly fetes for the city's gay royalty with hired musicians and grand pianos -Josephine later set up in deluxe cottage near Jonathan Club by one of its leaders who had a thing for her -- Rock Hudson said seen to be a habituee on the same premises in the '50s... Whew again in the name of LGBT History Month !