View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
I am so dissapointed. I have lost so much enthusiasm and excitement for this. The SOM design is one of the most elegant and innovative I have seen in years.

I read the Jury's full report and they discuss flow and functional issues with the SOM design. Well, it's a work in progress. Things can be tweaked and adjusted through the process.

The Pelli design is just so boring and bland. And no one is going to use the park. Maybe on a hot sunny day. But it will be completely surrounded by towers no less than 400 feet. It won't be like Yerba Buena Gardens, it will be like Crocker Galleria.

And if they want a truly active building with 24 hour life, they would mix the uses. You think anyone will be around on the weekend?

And finally in the Jury's report they say the Great Hall in SOM's proposal is too big and the entrance and incredible plaza could be overwhelming. Like how the Golden Gate bridge is too big? Or the way the Eiffel Tower is overwhelming? It's called ambition. And it's what makes grand projects awe inspiring.

I'm not giving up though, I've already written 8 emails and plan to write a lot more. We have until the 20th.
Yes...I couldn/t agree more. I like Pelli's design, simple and elegant but it does pale in comparison to SOM's. I also emailed the TJPA in support of SOM's proposal and am hoping for the best though I think it may already be a done deal. If Pelli's offer is officially chosen on the 20th, I will send subsequent emails suggesting that SOM's design be used in another parcel slated for future development in the transbay area.